The echocardiogram is the ultrasound of the heart. Your doctor may refer you for a transthoracic echocardiogram to pinpoint the complications of your heart. It also helps in determining the size and shape, pumping capacity or any damage to its tissues, heart valve abnormalities or any abnormalities in blood flow.
What you can expect
This procedure will be performed in the echocardiography room. The sonographer will press the probe against your chest to get the images of your heart.
Preparation for consultation
- You can eat and drink as you normally would.
- There is no restriction on your medication, so you can take your medications as you normally would.
- If you don’t speak English, please bring someone to translate for you or let the receptionist know ahead of your test; we will arrange one for you.
- We will require your friends and family to wait in the waiting area unless they are needed to translate or provide care.
- Children will be not allowed in the exam room.