Myocardial Perfusion Imaging is the test that shows the blood flow through the heart and highlights the areas of the heart that are not getting enough blood flow. This test will take approximately 4-5 hours. It is a simple procedure to rule out if there is any decreased blood flow in the heart arteries while in stress because most of the time, symptoms (angina) begin when the heart must do more work while in stress rather than resting. This test also helps in the diagnosis of various heart rhythm problems.
Stress Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
What you can expect
This exam will be done in the Myocardial Perfusion Imaging room. This test is performed under the direct supervision of the doctor.
Preparation for consultation
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes on the test day.
- If you don’t speak English, please bring someone to translate for you or let the receptionist know ahead of your test; we will arrange one for you.
- Do not wear any oil, cream, lotion, or powder on your chest on the test day.
- You need to stop the caffeine 24 hours prior to the exam, that includes coffee, soda, tea, chocolate, or chocolate drink as well as any decaffeinated drinks.
- You need to stop the following medications: Beta blockers and calcium channel blockers; If you are unsure about the medication, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Children will not be allowed in the exam room.